The Ecological Society of Chile (SOCECOL) started in July 1978 as the Ecology Section of the Biological Society of Chile, and became formally founded in July 1992. The Society, however, became officially and legally constituted in October 1994 as the outcome of a long process of maturation of the discipline in Chile.
In the last twenty years, ecological sciences have experienced a remarkable development in our country, gaining increasing recognition within the Chilean scientific community and incorporating a continuously growing number of researchers educated both in national and foreign universities. Currently, the Society’s membership includes senior and junior scientists, and an important number of graduate students. It is a small scientific community in comparison to the large number of biologists affiliated to other biological societies in the country, but it is composed by highly productive researchers in marine and terrestrial areas.
The main goal of the Ecological Society of Chile is to promote and stimulate experimental and theoretical investigations leading to a greater development, progress and dissemination of ecological sciences in our country, and any other activity that results in the benefit of public interests. The Society represents the corporate voice of Chilean ecologists, both at national and international levels. The increasing public concern about environmental problems and ecological topics in Chile pose new challenges for the Society. The recent promulgation of a law addressing the use, management and protection of the environment, and the implementation of its regulations, and also a national policy for the environment will require the rigorous application of ecological knowledge based on proper scientific bases. Consequently, the Society could play an important role both in the development of the more professional aspects of ecology and in fields such as environmental education. An important aim of the Society is to encourage communication among ecologists, mainly through the organization of an Annual Meeting that brings together scholars from different disciplines around the common theme of ecology.
- – President: Bernardo Brotiman Rojas (CEAZA)
- – Vicepresident: Olga Barbosa Prieto (Universidad Austral de Chile)
- – Past President: Marco Lardies Carrasco (Universidad Adolfo Ibañez)
- – Secretariat: Marcelo Rivadeneira Valenzuela (CEAZA, Universidad Católica del Norte)
- – Treasury: Tatiana Manzur Castillo (CEAZA)
- – Bárbara Saavedra Pérez (WCS Chile)
- – Marco Molina Montengro (CEAZA, Universidad de Talca)
- – Rocío Jaña (Fundación Senda Darwin)
- – Rodrigo Ramos Jiliberto (CENMA, Universidad de Chile)
- – Rodrigo Vásquez Salfate (Universidad de Chile)
- – Sonia Reyes Paecke (P. Universidad Católica de Chile)
- – Collaborators: Susana Maldonado Curti (Membership Comission) & Ariel Valdés Barrera (Webmaster)
The SOCECOL Anual meeting is organized by the Governing Board and a Local Scientific Committee. Also, each two years SOCECOL and Argentinian Ecologial Society (ASAE) organize the Binational Ecological Meeting.
- VI Binational Ecological Meeting – XXIII SOCECOL Annual Meeting (September 2016, Puerto Iguazú, Argentina). VER AQUÍ
- XXII SOCECOL Annual Meeting (2015 November, Olmué, Chile)
- XXI SOCECOL Annual Meeting (2014 November, Puerto Varas, Chile) VER AQUÍ
- XX SOCECOL Annual Meeting – V Binational Ecological Meeting (2013 November, Puerto Varas, Chile) VER AQUÍ
- XIX SOCECOL Annual Meeting (2012 October, Concepción, Chile) VER AQUÍ